Friday, January 25, 2008

A little about myself...

The only experience I ever had doing any sort of running races where back when I was in the Army when I was 18. Back then I was physically fit and could run 3 miles at a 6 minute pace for PT in the morning.
I participated in four 5k run's while I was temporarily stationed at Ft. Rucker, Alabama, but back then it wasn't just because I thought it was fun. It was because I was stuck in the Army with no privileges to have any sort of weekend passes and the more "extra curricular" activities I participated in the more passes I got.
The longest race I participated in was a half marathon and I haven't wanted to do one since.
I don't have my exact time documented anywhere any more so I don't remember how fast it was. All's I do remember is that out of 77 competetitors I placed 12th or 13th. Along with my first and only weekend off-post pass, I got swollen knees and ended up not walking right for the next two and a half months.
I did something severely wrong- I didn't train properly and I ran way too fast for way too long.

Fast forward to now.
I've been a truck driver for two years. I spent about four of the five previous years driving Taxi in Minneapolis. I've gained about 35 pounds since I was 18 and I'm lucky if I can run ONE mile in eight minutes.
Two years ago I was involved in a bike crash where an S.U.V. plowed into me while I was driving the speed of traffic (about 25 mph). I healed from my injuries and last year I competed in my first triathlon in Paynesville, MN. I did a sprint distance triathlon and met all of my goals, and did the same a couple of months later in Hudson, WI.
This year I'm super excited to increase my speed in the sprint distances, but also complete an Olympic Size race. There's a part of me that wishes I could some day do something like an Iron Man competition, but then I remember how horrible it was for me to do just one half marathon.
For me, a mile+ swim, 20-30 mile bike and 10k run not only sounds fun, but just about the perfect amount of work out for my body to endure.

No comments: